With the majority of our renovations complete, I've started an interest in collecting and framing art. My first big project - original vintage (I think I can say that now) movie poster art.
Where to Buy
- Star Wars - eBay
- Indiana Jones Poster - Alternative to eBay to buy Posters (consistent grading system and more focused products) - http://www.mpb.auction/
Posters with measurements and framing considerations,
|Poster||Size (from listing)||Single Sided or Double||Backing||Status|
|Star Wars||27" x 41"||Single||Linen||Framed|
|Raiders of the Lost Ark - Folded Version||27" x 41"||Single||Linen||Framed|
|La La Land||27 1/4" x 39 3/8"||Double|
|Avengers End Game||27" x 40"||Double|
After some reading, I concluded it would be a damaging to my authentic movie posters to frame up using traditional backing methods. Let's start with the results,
Glass versus Plexiglass
There are pros and cons for both. Note, if you want to use 3M stickers and not nail in, then Plexiglass is likely your only option.
- Most websites I ran across seem to say plexiglass... but note there may be some bias as these also tend to be websites that sell online and delivery of plexiglass is easier,
- My local framer The Art Forum recommended glass (he has both) as he feels plexiglass yellows over time - Tony's been in the business a long, long, time , so I went with Anti-UV, Anti Glare, extra clear glass.
- Used a mat to ensure the glass is lifted off the surface (only possible for smaller than 40" x 60" posters).
Backing the Poster
- Avoid foamcore unless acid free such as Artcare Archival System by Bainbridge which should only be a few dollars more.
- Expensive but preserves, flatten, hides vintage folded posters and allow touchup or outright restoration.
- Make sure to go with professional who will make it reversible.
- For damaged vintage folders can bring up value if resold.
- ~ cost $75 to $150.
- Not advisable for double sided posters.
Here is how it looks after linen backing. It's actually quite thick,
More Linen Backing,
- Video of how Linen Backing and Restoration Works - http://www.posterfix.com/
- Backing to the Future - Linen Backing in Canada Port Perry, very professional website ( this is who I ended up going with and also used the shrink wrap my Thor Ragnarok poster to keep before framing).
- Linen Backing recommend by mpb.auction, http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/contact-dario-casadei/
- dkartservices - Local West Toronto Linen Backing and custom framing.
PlexiGlass Frames that Can Swap In and Out
I did not go with this, but for those interested here's my research,
- http://hollywoodposterframes.com/ - pre-built frames,
- http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/ - Flip frames (not sure what that means),
- www.displays2go.ca - search for snap frames (also has lightbox models) - not sure if archival though
Putting it Together
Here are things to check with your framer,
- Back the linen poster with acid free material
- Acid free foam core or 4 ply rag are best
- Linen Hinged - Hinge mount using some archival tap stuck to the linen
- Do not stretch
- Trim the linen about 1/8 smaller than the inside dimension of the frame
- If framing with wood make sure to put a barrier if framing to size
As these posters are quite large it is very important to hang them properly to not buckle over time,
- Use the D-Rings on the back directly
- Warning - Adding wires to D-Rings for Large posters will put strain on the frame causing corners to pop out.
For how high to hang, it's best to do what the museum's do and go with average eye level ~57 inches for the middle of the poster,
Image from artofthemovies.co.uk.
Nails and Wall Reinforcement
Almost all of my other projects used the 3M Command Strips. However here, it did not work because the edges of the 3M strips would show... you can learn from my mistake (per the next section).
So instead, it was putting up one nail, help with the wife to confirm it was straight, and and lots of careful measurements with painters tape to confirm relativity.
3M Command Strips
If you want to use below 3M Command Strips you have to consider measurements and placement of the D-Rings with the width of the 3M Command Strips
3M Command Strips are the best thing since sliced bread to hanging art.
Weigh you Poster with Frame - step on a digital scale without hold the poster and then again with it. Mine came out to 17.5lbs.
Based on weight use the appropriate 3M Command Strip Wire Back Picture Hangers to place your poster,
In my case, glass is quite heavy and I exceed the limit. I considered two options,
3M Command Velcro Strips - Augment with strips across the top and bottom.
Screws - After initial placement, reinforce by drilling in wall anchors and screws (make sure to wear glasses) into the 3M plates. But keep in mind here, not to go very far from the maximum.... I've not tested the strength of the metal plates hooks.
- The Art Forum - local Framer - weekdays 9-6pm sat 9-4pm
- Good Forum Discussions - http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,59.0.html