This is a cookbook to build and manage enterprise Information Technology solutions focusing on open source and to democratizing technology.
The name Bonsai Framework references a Bonsai approach to cultivation of technology trees to,
Stay pruned and shaped with proven techniques over time.
Combine key foundational patterns into adaptable solutions.
Don't be afraid to give feedback messaging me through LinkedIn. I write these notes in my spare time so they are far from perfect.
WHERE TO START?
Know Your Basics
You should understand the following,
- Fundamentals of directories and files.
- Be able to edit text files at the command line.
- Basic understanding of how a Web Server works.
Servers and Hosting
How to setup enterprise class operations and infrastructure from a DevOps and OpsDev perspective.
Setup Ubuntu - Minimal setup. Recommend practicing inside virtual machine.
Setup Apache - The very first thing to get going on the Internet
Virtual Hosting with Apache Server - Multiple websites on one web server.
Practical application of the tutorials,
- Confluence - Setup your own Knowledge Management website (what you currently see here).
- Plex - Setup your own streaming media server.
Get a good understanding of virtualization options and technologies fundamental to Cloud.
LXC - Core understanding of container based virtualization towards Cloud.
LXC with Advanced Networking - Understand under the hoods of how the internal virtualization network works.
Docker in Relation to LXC - How your LXC learnings apply to Docker.
Hypervisor - Select and run a virtualization infrastructure at home.
Journey to Cloud
Cloud Stack - Currently trying to process the good enough cloud stack for the Bonsai Framework.
Path to Cloud - In flight progressive journey to moving the Cloud.
Cloud Density - Reduce cost of Cloud through isolation technology and techniques.
Is This Software?
No. These are techniques to selecting, connecting and customizing technologies. At the same time, written to educate and provide practical context.
Anybody can look up how to build a system or house, but the intent here is to be organized, include tricks of the trade and exercised documentation.
The material is curated to create a low maintenance enterprise technology tree. Like a Bonsai Tree, it starts simple (fast) but can easily be grown within established patterns.
Is This Open Source?
Can I Contribute Beyond Anonymous Comments?
Sure, send me a LinkedIn message and I will create you an ID.
Can I Download the Website?
What About Development Notes?
Yes, I've got lots but the effort to rewrite and modernize is not something I have time for right now. I've had a number of requests, so I may put up some overall concepts and practices.
When did you start?
1996 with the Confluence edition started (minus Dev notes) Jan 2010.
- Custom Leather Strap and BeltTin Pham (Aug 12, 2019)
- 1.5 Recommended Linux Tools
- 0.0 Ubuntu Need to Know Basics
- JPEG File Belt Colour.jpeg
- JPEG File Belt Pattern.jpeg
- Fun 2.1 Framing and Preserving Movie PostersTin Pham (Aug 06, 2019)
- Buying My Next Watch ResearchTin Pham (Aug 05, 2019)
- 8.0 Confluence 6.x SetupTin Pham (Aug 05, 2019)
- 8.0 Confluence 4.x to 5.x SetupTin Pham (Aug 04, 2019)
- Buying My Next Watch Research v0.1Tin Pham (Jul 27, 2019)
- 6.0 Apache Tomcat Connector mod_jk ajpTin Pham (Jul 26, 2019)
- JPEG File XX-NewmanDaytona-A-REVISED_1024x1024.jpg
- JPEG File 1950's Omega Seamaster Waffle Dial.jpg
- JPEG File Omega Enthusiasts Watch.jpg
- JPEG File 14765AutomaticCrosshair.jpg
- 1.0 Setup Ubuntu Linux Base Server
- 1.4 Creating User AccountsTin Pham (Jul 21, 2019)
- Setup Ubuntu Linux Base Server Bash ScriptTin Pham (Jul 21, 2019)
- Save Up for a Looong Time WatchesTin Pham (Jul 19, 2019)
- Proper Fitting ClothesTin Pham (Jun 25, 2019)